About the Event
THE UNIBANK GREENWAY CHALLENGE
AN ADVENTURE RACE... LIKE NO OTHER!
The mission of the UniBank Greenway Challenge is to promote the recreational quality of life in the Blackstone River Valley. A program of the Whitin Community Center, presented by UniBank and supported by other partner organizations, the Greenway Challenge supports clean water campaigns, hiking and biking trails, wildlife projects, environmental education and development of waterway access.
Each year, the Greenway Challenge athletes run, paddle and bike on a course designed to bring you through one of the most beautiful and historic regions of New England, the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor located between Worcester, MA and Pawtucket, RI.
This annual race is quickly becoming one of New England's premier adventure races.
Monday, July 1 - Online registration opens with Early Bird pricing, course maps are published and available online.
Wednesday, August 14 - Last day for Early Bird/discounted pricing.
Sunday, September 8 - Last day for guarenteed t-shirt; first come, first serve after this date based on availability.
Friday, September 20 - Registrations for 2019 race are finalized.
Mandatory Captains' Meeting (team captain or representative) - must attend one
Wednesday September 4 at I-295 North Visitors Center in Cumberland, RI (right after Rt 146 and before Exit 10 on I-295 North) at 7pm
Thursday September 5 at Millbury Credit Union, 50 Main St in Millbury, MA at 7pm
Packet/Bib Pick-up and Pre-Race gathering*
Friday September 27 at Whitin Community Center, 60 Main St in Whitinsville, MA 5-8pm
* Bibs are NOT available for pick-up on Race Day. They MUST be picked up on Friday night.
Saturday Sept 28
All Transition Sites "open" starting at 7am for gear drop off
Start at 8:30am
Estimated first finisher 2:00pm
Awards Ceremony at approximately 4pm
Individual (solo) Participant - fee( Early Bird Jul 1 - Aug 14)
A single individual completes each and every course segment on their own, with the help of a support person to transport and stage gear between transition sites. This category is not to be taken lightly.
Top Overall Male and Female will be awarded for their accomplishments.
2-4 Person Team - fee ( Early Bird Jul 1 - Aug 14)
Teams are comprised of 3 or 4 individuals, with each team member competing in at least one segment along the course. Split up the biking, running, and paddling with team member specialties!
Top Overall Male, Female, and Co-ed teams will be awarded for their accomplishments.
5+ Person Team - fee ( Early Bird Jul 1 - Aug 14)
Paying homage to the roots of this great adventure race, these teams will have between 5 and 8 team members, where each team member must participate in at least one course segment. Perfect for corporate teams or groups of individuals looking to go all out on just 1-2 segments.
Top Overall Male, Female, Co-ed, and Corporate teams will be awarded for their accomplishments.
While we want you to be competitive and complete the Challenge, we must put the safety of all our athletes first. The race requirements are not flexible. Each transition site team is instructed to notify the Race Official if anything that is questionable. Thank you for your understanding.
- Teams must provide necessary maintenance equipment, food, water, supplies, and transportation for team members during the Challenge from the Start to the Finish Line.
- Participants must be age 16 or older. Ages 16 - 18 must have parental permission/signature on Liability Waiver and Photo Release Forms.
- Canoe, Kayak, Stand-up Paddleboard, or whatever your paddling craft is, the Greenway Challenge requirements are that you wear personal flotation devices (PFDs). Not wearing an approved PFD means disqualification of the person and their team.
- Cyclists are required to wear approved helmets. Not wearing an approved helmet disqualifies the person and their team.
- Runners are required to wear shoes. Not wearing shoes will disqualify person and team.
- Pleae refer to the Course tab for the Cut-Off Times for this years race.