THE UNIBANK GREENWAY CHALLENGE
**20th Anniversary Year!**
AN ADVENTURE RACE... LIKE NO OTHER!
The mission of the UniBank Greenway Challenge is to promote the recreational quality of life in the Blackstone River Valley. A program of the Whitin Community Center, presented by UniBank and supported by other partner organizations, the Greenway Challenge supports the development of new programs, purchase of additional equipment, and facility renovations for the members and guests of the Whitin Community Center (WCC).
The WCC is a 501(c)(3) organization committed to enhancing the health and well-being of individuals and families and to building a strong community in the Blackstone Valley.
Each year, the Greenway Challenge athletes run, paddle and bike on a course designed to bring you through one of the most beautiful and historic regions of New England, the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor located between Worcester, MA and Pawtucket, RI.
This annual race is one of New England's premier adventure races.
Registration Opens Thursday, July 1, 2021
Thursday, July 1 - Online registration opens
Sunday, August 1 - Course maps are published and available online.
Wednesday, September 1st - Last day for guaranteed t-shirt; first come, first serve after this date based on availability.
Friday, September 17th - Registration, fees, photography releases and waiver forms for all members of a team must be received; late fees will apply after this date
Registration Closes Friday, September 17, 2021
Mandatory Captains' Meeting (team captain or representative) - please send at least one representative from your team.
Wednesday, September 8th 7:00pm-Blackstone River State Park Vistor Center, Rt. 1-295 North, Cumberland, RI 02864
Thursday, September 9th 7:00pm-Millbury Federal Credit Union, 50 Main Street, Millbury, MA 01527
Packet/Bib Pick-up and Pre-Race Gathering*
Friday, September 24th 5:00pm-8:00pm at Whitin Community Center, 60 Main St in Whitinsville, MA 01588
* Bibs are NOT available for pick-up on Race Day. They MUST be picked up on Friday night.
Saturday, September 25, 2021
All Transition Sites "open" starting at 7am for gear drop off
Start at 8:30am
Estimated first finisher 1:00pm
Awards Ceremony at approximately 4:00pm
Individual (solo) Participant - $120 fee
A single individual completes each and every course segment on their own, with the help of a support person to transport and stage gear between transition sites. This category is not to be taken lightly.
Top Overall Male and Female will be awarded for their accomplishments.
2-4 Person Team - $200 fee
Teams are comprised of 2 to 4 individuals, with each team member competing in at least one segment along the course. Split up the biking, running, and paddling with team member specialties!
Top Overall Male, Female, and Co-ed teams will be awarded for their accomplishments.
5+ Person Team - $275 fee
Paying homage to the roots of this great adventure race, these teams will have between 5 and 8 team members, where each team member must participate in at least one course segment. Perfect for corporate teams or groups of individuals looking to go all out on just 1-2 segments.
Top Overall Male, Female, Co-ed, and Corporate teams will be awarded for their accomplishments.
While we want you to be competitive and complete the Challenge, we must put the safety of all our athletes first. The race requirements are not flexible. Each transition site team is instructed to notify the Race Official if anything that is questionable. Thank you for your understanding.
- Teams must provide necessary maintenance equipment, food, water, supplies, and transportation for team members during the Challenge from the Start to the Finish Line.
- Participants must be age 14 or older. Ages 14 - 18 must have parental permission/signature on Liability Waiver and Photo Release Forms. Team Captain must be 18+ and attend mandatory captain's meeting.
- Canoe, Kayak, Stand-up Paddleboard, or whatever your paddling craft is, the Greenway Challenge requirements are that you wear personal flotation devices (PFDs). Not wearing an approved PFD means disqualification of the person and their team.
- Cyclists are required to wear approved helmets (ANSI or ASTM). Not wearing an approved helmet disqualifies the person and their team.
- Runners are required to wear shoes. Not wearing shoes will disqualify person and team.
- No EBikes permitted.
- Please refer to the Course tab for the Cut-Off Times for this years race.